Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tokyo, Japan

TOKYO — A strong earthquake with a preliminary 6.6 magnitude struck off of Japan's eastern coast Sunday, the country's meteorological agency said. There were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.
The 5:10 p.m. quake (Tokyo Time), which occurred off the coast of Fukushima prefecture about 150 miles northeast of Tokyo, was followed by several aftershocks.
The quake, which struck about six miles below the ocean's surface, shook buildings as far away as Tokyo.   ---Fox News

It really did shake buildings in Tokyo.  I was sitting in my hotel room on the 24th floor next to the window when my room began to sway back and forth. 



It wasn't super dramatic but I could definitely feel it moving and hear it grinding and creaking.  The drapes on the window, and the clothes hanging in the closet began to swing back and forth.  It gives you that strange feeling that you're not on solid ground after all and it went on for a while (30 - 60 seconds) so I began to wonder.

A couple of days ago the air cleared up enough that I finally got a glimpse of Mt. Fuji.  I had been here two different times for about 12 -14 days and had never even been able to see that there was a mountain anywhere near Tokyo.  Then one morning, there it was as big as life.


I'm heading home on Thursday and can't wait to get there.  Love Ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment