Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Few of my Favorite Things!

Ornaments or objects used as ornaments



















A Good Story


Our first Christmas in Idaho was actually December 1980, six months after Kelsey was born.  We lived in a trailer off a gravel road in the middle of wheat fields a few miles from the Idaho Youth Ranch, where Val was working.  We put up a Christmas tree, but didn't have many ornaments or money to spend on decorations.  I found a small pad of paper and started making snowflakes, and when Val got home, he joined in.  We made about 25 to 30 of those small snowflake ornaments, and each was unique.  We put them on our Christmas trees year after year, but they became a little fragile, and some fell apart, so I put them in an envelope and there they stayed for a number of years.  I would get them out and look at them occasionally.  Last year I decided to take the ones that were left and find a way to display them.  They are out to enjoy all year, as shown above.  Everytime I see them, it reminds me of why and how they were created--a happy memory.

Other Items on Display


Made by Val for my Christmas years and years ago!


Ornaments I made over the years.


Juxtaposition at it's best.


When I was a child, we would go to Drake Springs Swimming Pool in the summer and Drake Springs Skating Rink in the winter.  I loved to ice skate and I was good at it--not at the pretty stuff, but skating backwards and at playing games like tag, Pom Pom Pull-Away and others.  Good times!

1 comment:

  1. I remember those snowflakes!! I love that you have them displayed year-round now!

    ReplyDelete