Just wanted to let you know that officially I have been hired to work at a garden nursery for the summer. However, I thought my schedule would be M-F from 10-2 or 4, and it would fit perfectly with what I wanted it to be. Then I found out that they want everyone to work every Saturday and that doesn't work at all if I want to go anywhere this summer--Kelsey's, my mom's, Amelia's, etc. So I talked to my manager about it briefly, and he said to email him what weekends I'm thinking about (I'm thinking about ALL of them!) and he would see what they could do. So, I haven't heard back about that, but in the meantime, we had a meeting last Saturday morning at 8am with everyone--not just our department, which is the nursery--to meet the owner, managers of different departments, etc. I asked my manager about the email and he said they have been too busy to really look at it yet. He also said he wishes he could use me in retail because he thinks I would be really good at it (I'm not a salesman, but I can be really helpful). After the meeting, our department was asked to help do some clean-up, and it was great. We were outside, sweeping and raking--I was in heaven. It felt so good to be physically active and enjoy the outdoors--I'm really hoping we can work the schedule thing out. And then, after that, my manager asked me if I would be interested in doing something different than watering, and I said sure, what? I guess they thought they had hired a person to do the outdoor maintenance and planting, but can't get ahold of him to start. It would be taking care of the beds out front and mowing the lawn. Sounds better than watering, but I told him I'd never mowed a lawn in my life--I'm sure I could learn, but... Anyway, he said he and the assistant manager would talk about the schedule thing and job thing and let me know. So, I think I have a new job, but I'm not sure yet.
Also, we got the April issues of the Ensign and Friend magazine yesterday and I looked through them. They are really good--all I could think of was if you all had subscriptions or not. I especially wondered about the Friend for my favorite grandkids? With Austin reading and Nyah on the verge, I know they would really enjoy the stories, poems, games, and even recipes. You probably already get it. I always enjoy the April issues because it focuses so much on the Savior--with Easter coming up.
I have been thinking alot about what I would like to do for work--I need to be busy doing something and I might as well be financially productive. I thought if I could come up with a bunch of different things, maybe one of them would actually take off. So I've thought about going the consignment store route--finding treasures or refinishing furniture or refurbishing whatever--not very lucrative but could be satisfying. I've thought about the craft thing--letting my creative side out--also not very lucrative. I've got a bunch of stuff--tons of stuff--in the garage that I should get rid of/sell, like the fridge, a couple of dressers, nightstands, leftover holiday decorations, etc. What really appeals is coming up with my own business--possibly home staging consultant--so I can decide what, when, how much, etc. The problem with that is owning a business sort of requires total motivation. I really had no idea I wouldn't have an idea about what I would want to do with myself when I was no longer needed as a full-time mom. Anybody out there have any ideas for me? I remember hearing a talk in church and I thought I could use it to help me decide what I wanted my 'job' to be. #1. I want to create/use creativity #2. I want to provide a beneficial service to others #3. I want to work hard; be busy #4. I want to do something I can be grateful for and feel good about #5. I want to be able to live a righteous, obedient life (not working on Sun., honestly dealing with fellowman, etc.) And then add to that: I want to have holidays and weekends off (to spend time with your dad), I want to be able to walk/exercise in the morning, I want to be able to help family (new babies, my mom, etc.) and attend important occasions, I want to be able to toodle too. Is there even a job out there anywhere that would fit all of that? Probably not realistically (fade to Eeyore). Love you all :)
Olivia & NF1 Update
-
Well, so. . . . here it is:
These are the results from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) on the
volumetric measurements of the plexiform neurofibroma ...
9 years ago
Sounds like you need to come up with your own company. Then you can set your schedule, take time off when you want, and be doing the things that you want to. What is it you want to do? Thats probably the hard part to figure out.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes we get all the church magazines. I like to read them all, even the New Era, even though I'm not serving in YW's anymore.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of reading, this weekend I caught Austin choosing to read a book by himself, which I loved seeing, and Nyah is really taking off in reading, even though she always starts any reading by declaring "I can't"
I know your dilemma well. I would love to do everything you're talking about, too. Create, pick my own hours, etc. I think it's great that you can be picky. You're new job sounds great, though. I would way rather do the mowing or watering than customer service. Customers are, in general, hard for me to handle. It sounds like the consignment thing would be the most lucrative the fastest. But, you could do that on the side of a lot of other things. Building your own business could take a lot of time before it starts making money. I think you would be fantastic at home staging. Pretty much anything you want to do, you can. But, if you're anything like me, you can't rest on just one thing and that makes it hard to focus. I really liked your idea we talked about one time of having a little shop where you would be able to sell a lot of different things. Art, books, stationary, you know. But, again, that might be hard to start up. Let me know what you decide. :)
ReplyDelete